Riverhead Railroad Museum:
Although Riverhead is considered the virtual end of Long Island, it was only the beginning of the originally planned intermodal rail-sea connection through the northern fork to a possible cross-ferry service.
The earliest settlement name of Riverhead or River Head, which is the ninth part of the ten cities in Suffolk County, was eventually created on March 13 at the west end of Southold. , 1792.
Thus, individually and independently, it gained growth with the arrival of the railroad, and the station, which was built on July 29, 1850, serving the Brooklyn South Ferry to the Greenport line, was built on today's Railroad Avenue. In spite of its overall purpose, he directed his own departing passenger on stage buses to Quogue and other southern islands.
Eastbound trains served the city Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, and back west to Brooklyn on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Trade, milling, and manufacturing-dominated trading companies fed 1875 people in 1875. The community boasts two mills, offices, 20 shops, three hotels and six temples.
The original train station, which was converted into a home by railroad workers, was designed by Charles Hallett between 1869 and 1870, with carved decorations and intricate designs, west of Griffing Avenue. This was later a third, this time in brick construction, on June 2, 1910.
"In the early 1900s, eastern flourishing potato farms were a place of profound snowfall in summer and winter," wrote Ron Ziel and George H. Foster in "The Steel Plate Towards the Sunrise: The Long Island Railroad" (Ameron House, 1965, p. 158). .).
"From the moment he realized that the original cause of his existence had disappeared with the construction of the New Haven Railroad in Boston (fifty years earlier), the LIRR played a major role in the development of areas to the east," he continued (p. 158). Business and non-governmental organizations throughout the island have joined with famous citizens, newspapers and railways to promote the travel and settlements of the Long Island. "
However, this development was hardly fast, and when the rails were later replaced by roads, the Long Island Railroad's redesigned intermodal transportation destination disappeared, leaving most of its passengers to commute to Manhattan on a mass morning departure.
In fact, by 1963, the trunk route east of Riverhead was reduced to a single daily passenger service and a three-week freight service, originally by a rail-sea link in the mid-19th century.
Today's high-profile concrete platform, which does not have a single shoe press on certain days and at certain times of the year, was built between 1996 and 1997, but it is preserved by rail lovers at the Long Island Railroad Museum.
"The history of Long Island is traced back to steel rails that cross diverse landscapes – from the dark tunnels of New York to the farms and sand dunes of the East End," the website said. "The Long Island Railroad Museum strives to illustrate this story through interpretive exhibitions from the photo and archive archive, and through the preservation and restoration of vintage railroad equipment at its two locations, Riverhead and Greenport, New York."
The former consists of 70 meters of land now owned by the Metropolitan Transport Authority but leased to the museum, once a pump house, a water tower and a turntable that was no longer compatible with the larger, more II. huge locomotives during World War II. Today, the cornerstone of the complex is a building dating from 1885, used by Corwin and Vail Lumber Yard, and currently serves as the museum's visitor center with a Lionel railroad layout that copies Long Island rail trainers, cardboard and balsa wood. Riverhead warehouse and a gift shop on the occasion of the 20th century anniversary.
Opposite it is the Lionel Visitor Center, which features a multi-track layout with Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey circus displays, a water tower that identifies the city as Lionelville, and 72-button activated access control lights for wind turbine turns.
Outside there are two other rail lines: the G-sized Freeman railroad and the complex, circular and riding World Trade Show train from 1964-1965.
The 16-diameter train, built by the Alan Herschel Company, was an integral part of the contract and was used by the Long Island Railway Pavilion and used by Grumman Aerospace at the Calverton picnic before being used by the Patchogue Village and finally donated to the museum.
With a refurbished engine, three cars, and a trade show ad and "Ride the Log Island. Ride effortlessly, the steel all the way to the Fair Gateway," runs at 670 feet, usually starting every half hour and making three circuits. Tours are part of the entrance.
The adjacent crossing shield, originally located in Innwood, Queens, and weather-protected guards facilitated manual lowering and lifting of gates as trains passed to obstruct pedestrians and vehicles. Riverhead returned to the automatic system in the early 1950s.
The Long Island Railroad Museum, with its steam locomotives, diesel locomotives and cars and trucks, is diverse and historically significant. While some are outside the gift shop, most are across the Griffing Avenue, parallel to the currently active LIRRs and across from the current Riverhead station.
Players of the 1955 Steam Ceremony are here at the exhibition, though in varying stages of restoration.
Time, distance and technology separated the steam locomotives from the passenger car more than half a century ago, but the museum united them and now they are only a few yards apart, though static but in a restorative state.
Like the Pennsylvania Railroad's G-5 class "10-wheel" engine, the No. 39 engine, for example, was built in 1923 in Juniata's stores, but with its robust capabilities and features specifically designed for the daily demanding commuters. service: 237,000 pounds gross weight, 2,178 HP cylinder capacity, 205 psi boiler pressure, 41,328 pound towing power and 70 to 85 mph.
Serving primarily on the Oyster Bay branch, it was the last steam engine to travel to Greenport in June 1955.
The railcar left the era by releasing a 1556 RS-3 diesel locomotive gun during the delivery of Hicksville steam. This engine, a 1,600 hp AGP-16msc class multi-speed engine manufactured by the American Locomotive Company, served the Long Island Railroad for 22 years, and then the Gettysburg and Maryland Midland Railroad purchased and eventually acquired by the museum.
Interesting, but not necessarily related to Long Island history, the recently purchased Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal Railroad (BEDT) locomotive, with a 0-6-0 wheel configuration. Built by H.K. Porter in 1923 for Astoria Energy and Lighting Company, it was owned by several, including Fleischman's Yeast Company in Peekskill, New York; the Alabama Railway and Locomotive Company; and finally, from 1938, the Brooklyn East Terminal District Railway, which numbered it to 16, provided car floating service from Brooklyn's waterfront to several Class 1 railroads in Manhattan, the Bronx, and New Jersey.
Since the last steam engine was powered both east of the Mississippi River and in New York City, in October 1963, or eight years after the Long Island Railroad stopped using the technology for its own use, it did not retire.
Cars are also well represented in the museum.
For example, the 200-story coach, sporting the Tuscan red paint system, was the first such aluminum two-story car. Built in 1932, the Pennsylvania Railroad and Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA), a 120-passenger pilot prototype joint project, was an attempt to increase capacity without creating excessively long trains and, due to its non-standard status, had no control racks or traction motors. 132 pieces were assigned to the T-62 class designated for production.
A later, ubiquitous, passenger car was the P72, two of which were featured on the Long Island Railroad's former Scandinavian blue and platinum fog program. Numbered 2,923 and 2,924, in 1954, refer to 25 locomotive, 120-passenger commuter vehicles manufactured by Pullman Standard at the Osgood Bradley plant in Worcester, Massachusetts, originally with battery lighting and steam heating, and later powered by automotive diesel generator sets. After 44 years of youth service, they did not retire until 1999.
The significance of the museum pair was that they both attended the Hicksville Steam Ceremony on October 8, 1955: the 2924 was driven by the 39th engine and a Boy Scout crew stopped in Brooklyn, while the 2923 The car was similarly powered by the 35, but came from the East End.
Disengaged, the former was reintroduced to the 1556 diesel, heading for Jamaica, the latter joining forces in 1555, and heading for the Riverhead. Practically armed, the now-car-free locomotives rode into the steam age sunset and logged into the retirement home of Morris Park.
Another significant car pair are the two M1s in the museum, which are shown in the same lane.
These 85 feet long, 10.6 meters wide and 122 passenger capacity lightweight, multi-unit commuter made of stainless steel with rounded fiberglass end caps had four 160 hp General Electric 1255 A2 traction motors. and automatic, quarter-point sliding doors. They had a four-foot, 8.5-inch track, and offered a maximum of 240 feet of radius of curvature for coupled units, serving as a threshold for the Long Island Railroad electric era, as described in the Publications Book, "New Generation in Rail Travel : Meet the Big City, which promised "a new era for commuters on the Long Island Railroad."
"The smooth, stainless steel Metropolitan represents a new generation of suburban rail services," he said. "It represents a whole new look on Long Island Rail Road, the country's largest commuter rail system."
Explaining the motive behind the design, he said: "The (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) stated that it was" much the same "to meet the (needs and) requirements of the Long Island Rail Road equipment (there was no option).
"The MTA has turned to an outstanding team of experts to develop detailed specifications for the car, resulting in the Metropolitan.
"This joint operation was managed by the MTA and its own technical staff, working closely with experienced Long Island Rail Road operational staff. This effort produced in record time the requirements of a drastically changed, newly designed railroad car. It would be at the forefront of the nation's commuters. . "
Budd took charge of the 620 M1 metro policy and 150 options, which was then the largest single order in North America for electric multi-unit cars. The shipments took place between 1968 and 1973.
If it becomes necessary to increase the power supply from 650 to 750 V, driven by a contact shoe-to-third rail connection, the model came in an eight-car configuration from December 30, 1968, from Brooklyn to Penn Station, blurring the lines between commuter rail and engine. wagon supplement and autonomous subway concept.
"Metropolitan trains are arranged in two car units, fully equipped for independent operations …", explained the public relations publication. "Each unit has a car with batteries and an alternating current for the engine. The other has an air compressor. Metropolitan is the first multi-unit commuter train in operation."
The brochure also highlighted its progress.
"America's fastest, state-of-the-art commuter vehicle is packed with innovations and advanced features designed to provide a high level of service and comfort to the LIRR racer."
At the beginning of the 21st century, M7 cars from Bombardier, Canada, the first of which was delivered in 2002, were gradually replaced and participated in their own "Farewell to the M1" ceremony, home to the National Sunrise Trail. The Railway Historical Society four years later on November 4th.
A freight train or a railway museum would not be complete without a caboose. In the Long Island Railroad Museum, the bay window at C-68, as the conductor's office, at the safety link at the end of the car chain and while running in the crew's quarters, could not return to home stations. the night.
Long Island Railroad Museum in Greenport:
Twenty-three miles east is Greenport, another Long Island railroad museum, and the end of the line. But when the Long Island Railroad was conceived, it was just the beginning of its purpose and of the point of intermodal connection where the torch was passed from train to steamer for crossover. The technology eventually conquered Connecticut's southern railroad to Boston and destroyed the reason for the new venture.
Nonetheless, although the museum's other facility is weak in vehicles, it is rich in history.
Settled by colonists in New Haven in 1648, it evolved into a water-end capital ship and shipbuilding center at East End. Small ships delivered products to Connecticut, and larger ships served New York and New England. Whaling began in 1790.
Because its port was conceived as a destination and a transfer point, it attracts the course.
"Greenport was the place that caused the construction of the Long Island Railroad," said historian Frederick A. Kramer. "With the magnificent harbor overlooking Gardiner's Bay, bundled boats to connect Boston mainland had to be placed alongside whalers and local fishing boats."
Although Greenport opened its railroad port doors on July 29, 1844, the first official trip and the advertised "Road to Boston" segment only appeared the following month, August 10, with a train leaving Brooklyn at 08 : 00 and arrive by 12:00 noon, where passengers will board a two-hour ferry ride to Stonington, Connecticut, as part of a $ 400,000 investment in the steam-powered Cleopatra steamboat, and then complete another rail trip to Boston and Norwich. Worcester.
Although the fire used the original wooden warehouse and rack opened on July 27, 1844, a quarter of a second, designed by Charles Hallett, rose on the north side of the double rail in October 1870, transforming Greenport into a rail freight center, with a turntable, a shipping dock, and a storage yard that served as the starting point for Pullman cars heading to cities west of Pittsburgh.
Although still cultivated in and around the North Fork, especially potatoes and cauliflower, this once remote agricultural land has been removed for hours and purposefully resized to attract people who have developed trade and industry.
After failing to compete with the New Haven and Hartford Railroads and then relying on traffic between the islands after its original plan was unfolded, it was still able to transport plants to the western markets and the rail-owned steamboat fleet gave access to Block Island, southwest in Montauk and New London in Connecticut.
To facilitate the survival of Long Island rail travel while providing protection against the typical salt air of the coastal area, a third Victorian-style depot was built in 1892 and features decorative features such as hips, embossing patterns, wrought iron coats of arms and finals. Alongside the lorry that opened at the same time, which itself had a truck compartment, sliding doors, a surrounding wooden deck and a four-step entrance from Fourth Street, it joined other facilities that evolved into an extensive rail yard and included a four-storey engine room, water tank, insulation area and maintenance structures.
It is expected that the East End train service will fade away, with a small steam train between 4 and 4-0 departing daily between Amagansett and Greenport, pulling a combined (passenger and luggage) car and a full bus. It departed at 10:00 and made an intermediate stop in Eastport and Manorville. As it followed a semicircular path, the loss-making run carried by letter, express and a handful of souls was alternatively called "Scoot" and "Cape Train."
After the Greenport pass, he withdrew and started at 2:00 pm.
But the appearance of the car and the flap of depression in February 1931 accelerated its cessation.
"(Today), the two station buildings, along with the historic turntable and section deck, represent the largest and most complete representation of railroad-related buildings and structures to survive in Long Island's only and unique historic area." Website of the Long Island Railroad Museum.
One of the original load-bearing houses houses the museum itself.
Significant are the two HO-sized railroads that depict Greenport in the 1950s and today. A common feature between the two is the integral role of docks, harbor and coastal location throughout history.
Another important consideration was the salon car service of the Long Island Railroad in the 1940s and 1980s, which provides spectacular and popular travel options for New Yorkers on vacation in the East End or just for weekend getaways and displays. comfortable seating, cutlery, and China. It's called Montauk, from the south villa, "Cannonball," and Greenport itself, "Shelter Island Express."
The railroad era of the previous era is executed by works of art and equipment once considered "modern", such as hand typewriters, hand-held telephones, hoses, water coolers, flags and conductor lights, and ticket windows.
The remnants of Bliss Tower, formerly in the Blissville section of Queens, illustrate how such facilities are located at track-to-rail interfaces, allowing operators to visually connect with approaching trains and use appropriate hand tools. way to activate the crossing switches, which are essentially locomotives & # 39; & # 39; served as steering gear.
For example, in managing traffic from Long Island City along the Montauk Branch, these towers have been an integrated intersection infrastructure for centuries, until automation eliminated their need.
Some of the cars are on the track, where they get to the wooden deck surrounding the cargo.
For example, the former Long Island Railroad W-83 wedge was fastened in front of one or more locomotives and pushed at 35 mph, clearing the snow. Because of the dye-like paint system, the museum's example, the only such LIRR unit surviving, has been called a "jaw."
The caboose # 14 behind it, built by the American Car and Foundry Company in 1927, was part of the rail's last wooden order and served the entire route system, including the branches that no longer exist.
After his retirement in the 1960s, he took over a number of secondary hands, including the Branford Electric Railway, the Valley Railroad in Essex, Connecticut, and finally the museum, returning to Long Island on May 17, 1997.
In addition to the museum's rolling exhibitions and the three still active Long Island Railroad tracks, there is the Greenport 80-foot turntable, most recently used by the No. 39 steam locomotive on June 5, 1955, and one of the remaining three. This is the only pneumatic actuator.
Designed to one day be upgraded to steamboat excursion trains between Riverhead and Greenport, the museum would allow passengers to rail the North Villa and re-establish the original course almost two centuries later.
To the left of the turntable is a high-level concrete platform built between 1997 and 1998 and performs LIRR operations for up to two days. To the left is the original 1897 station building, which closed 70 years later, but now houses the East End Seaport Museum.
Finally, the current pier, which once supported the Stonington-bound steamers, replaced the original purpose of the Long Island Railroad.